A Carribbean island of 2.8 million people approximately the size of Connecticut, Jamaica is best known for its beaches, Bob Marley, and Rastafaris. Yet the country has a different side. 20% of the population lives below the poverty line, youth unemployment is nearly 30%, and only three-quarters of kids attend secondary school. Youth-centered organizations address these issues.
LearnServe Jamaica participants work with organizations in Kingston, Scott’s Hall, and the Blue Mountains. In 2013, LearnServe Jamaica participants will:
- Offer literacy training to children at St. Albans Primary School in Kingston, in partnership with KBC Learning
- Receive training from KBC Learning to be effective tutors
- Live and work with families in the Blue Mountains, helping to improve their health center and community center
- Work with Scott’s Hall Primary School, also adopted by KBC Learning, in Scott’s Hall, a rural community approximately 1 hour outside Kingston
LearnServe Jamaica will give you the opportunity to see the side of Jamaica overlooked by most tourists – and join the individuals and organizations working to make real change in their communities.
Pre-travel Training Dates (tentative – to be confirmed)
Location TBD. Meetings usually take place from 3-6pm on a Saturday or Sunday as noted below.
- Sunday, January 26, 2014 – Teacher Orientation
- Sunday, February 16, 2014 – Student, Teacher, and Parent Kickoff and Orientation
- Sunday, March 16, 2014 – Students and Teachers
- Saturday, April 12, 2014 – Students and Teachers (ropes course – to be confirmed)
- Sunday, May 18, 2013 – Students and Teachers
- Saturday, June 14, 2014- Send-off Celebration for travelers and families
Tentative travel dates
June 21, 2014 – July 6, 2014
Post-Travel Follow-up Meetings
- Sunday, August 31, 2014
- Sunday, September 21, 2014
- Sunday, October 19, 2014 - Graduation!
Cost of Trip: $3,000 (does not include passport, visa fees, or vaccinations)
Financial Aid is available. Any participant or school unable to cover the full cost of the program should contact Sabine Keinath by email at email@example.com.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.