A landlocked country of six million people, Paraguay is the size of California yet one of the poorest countries in South America. Paraguay boasts two national languages – Spanish and Guarani – and one of the world’s largest hydroelectric dams, on the eastern border with Brazil.
LearnServe Paraguay participants join young leaders in the capital city, Asunción, and in the small rural town of Isla Pucu to learn first-hand what life, and social change are like in Paraguay. In 2012, LearnServe Paraguay participants will:
- Meet a group of inspiring youth leaders in the barrio of Santa Ana in Asuncion
- Work on projects in Santa Ana related to health, job skills training, environmental education, and art – all led by youth from the Centro Cultural Comunitario
- Live with families from our partner school, Colegio San Jose, in an upper-middle class section of Asunción (students only)
- Meet and live with students and families in Isla Puku, a small village two hours from Asuncion, an opportunity to learn about rural Paraguayan culture
LearnServe Paraguay will give you an understanding of how lasting change comes to the neediest communities in Paraguay — through projects developed by those communities themselves.
Note: Spanish (at least one year) is required of all LearnServe Paraguay participants.
Tentative travel dates
June 24, 2013 – July 10, 2013
Pre-travel Training Dates
Location TBD. Meetings usually take place from 3-6pm on a Saturday or Sunday as noted below.
- Saturday, January 26, 2013 – Teacher Orientation
- Saturday, February 9, 2013 – Student, Teacher, and Parent Kickoff and Orientation
- Saturday, February 23, 2013 – Student and Teachers
- Saturday, March 16, 2013 – Students and Teachers
- Sunday, April 7, 2013 – Students and Teachers (ropes course – to be confirmed)
- Sunday, April 27, 2013 – Students and Teachers (ropes course alternatrive date – to be confirmed)
- Saturday, May 18, 2013 – Students and Teachers
- Saturday, June 1, 2013 – Students and Teachers
- Saturday, June 15 – Send-off Celebration for travelers and families
Post-Travel Follow-up Meetings
- Sunday, August 25, 2013
- Sunday, September 22, 2013
- Saturday, October 19, 2013 - Graduation!
Cost of Trip: $3,750 (does not include passport, visa fees, or vaccinations)
Financial Aid is available. Any participant or school unable to cover the full cost of the program should contact Sabine Keinath by email at email@example.com.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.