A landlocked country of six million people, Paraguay is the size of California yet one of the poorest countries in South America. Paraguay boasts two national languages – Spanish and Guarani – and one of the world’s largest hydroelectric dams, on the eastern border with Brazil.
LearnServe Paraguay participants join young leaders in the capital city, Asunción, and in the small rural town of San Jose de los Arroyos to learn first-hand what life, and social change are like in Paraguay. In 2016, LearnServe Paraguay participants will:
- Meet a group of inspiring youth leaders in the barrio of Santa Ana in Asuncion
- Work on projects in Santa Ana related to health, job skills training, environmental education, and art – all led by youth from the Centro Cultural Comunitario
- Meet and live with students and families from the Colegio San Alfonso in Carapegua, a small town two hours from Asuncion, an opportunity to learn about rural Paraguayan culture
- Spend an afternoon with the famous Landfill Orchestra in Asuncion
Created with flickr slideshow.
LearnServe Paraguay will give you an understanding of how lasting change comes to the neediest communities in Paraguay — through projects developed by those communities themselves.
Note: Spanish (at least one year) is required of all LearnServe Paraguay participants.
2016 Summer Schedule
Pre-travel training sessions will be held monthly on Saturday afternoons throughout the spring semester. In addition students are expected to attend a service day on a weekend date to be announced, as well as a weekend seminar in June, shown below. There are three post-trip meetings August – October in which participants prepare action plans and share their experiences with their school communities.
Pre-travel Training Dates (tentative – to be confirmed)
Location TBD. Meetings typically take place from 2-5 pm on Saturdays as noted below.
- February 20 (Sat) – Pre-Program meeting, with notary
- March 12 (Sat) – Kick-off, families welcome!
- April 16 (Sat) – Ropes Course
- May 21 (Sat) – Pre-travel meeting for travelers
- May, Date TBD – Service Day
- June 11-12 (Sat-Sun) – Pre-travel Seminar, Send-off Reception on Sunday
Tentative travel dates
June 24, 2016 – July 9, 2016
Post-Travel Follow-up Meetings
- Wednesday, August 24
- Saturday, September 24
- Saturday, October 15 – Graduation!
Cost of Trip: $3,950 (does not include passport, visa fees, or vaccinations)
Listed prices are estimates and subject to change at time of airline ticket purchase.
Financial Aid is available. Any participant or school unable to cover the full cost of the program should contact Sabine Keinath by email at email@example.com.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.