A landlocked country in southern Africa, Zambia shares one of the wonders of the world – Victoria Falls – with Zimbabwe and Botswana. Among the poorest of world nations, more than 70% of Zambians live in poverty, earning a per-capita annual income of US $395. Yet Zambia is a country of hope: welcoming, politically stable, with a wealth of organizations and individuals making a difference in their communities.
LearnServe Zambia focuses on the HIV/AIDS crisis in Africa – how it impacts all of us, and how local organizations are addressing the challenge with solutions that work. In 2013, LearnServe Zambia will work with:
- Chikumbuso Women and Orphans Project
- World Bicycle Relief, building and bringing bicycles to health workers serving HIV/AIDS patients in rural Zambia
- Africa Directions, a youth-led group using drumming and dance as a medium to spread awareness about HIV/AIDS
- Malambo Basic School, a rural school with limited resources but a desire to raise its children from poverty to independence
Students and teachers live and travel together, staying in clean, safe guest houses and hotels. Travel will be in modern vans and buses with licensed drivers. LearnServe Zambia participants will also have the opportunity to see some of the sights of Zambia, including Victoria Falls.
The LearnServe Zambia leader is Gaby Grebski. Gaby is the Upper School Guidance Counselor at the Sidwell Friends School in Washington DC. Gaby has visited Zambia four times with LearnServe, and led the LearnServe Zambia programs in 2010 and 2011.
Tentative travel dates
June 24, 2013 – July 10, 2013
Pre-travel Training Dates
Location TBD. Meetings usually take place from 3-6pm on a Saturday or Sunday as noted below.
- Saturday, January 26, 2013 – Teacher Orientation
- Saturday, February 9, 2013 – Student, Teacher, and Parent Kickoff and Orientation
- Saturday, February 23, 2013 – Student and Teachers
- Saturday, March 16, 2013 – Students and Teachers
- Sunday, April 7, 2013 – Students and Teachers (ropes course – to be confirmed)
- Sunday, April 27, 2013 – Students and Teachers (ropes course alternative date – to be confirmed)
- Saturday, May 18, 2013 – Students and Teachers
- Saturday, June 1, 2013 – Students and Teachers
- Saturday, June 15 – Send-off Celebration for travelers and families
Post-Travel Follow-up Meetings
- Sunday, August 25, 2013
- Sunday, September 22, 2013
- Saturday, October 19, 2013 - Graduation!
Cost of Trip: $4,850 (does not include passport, visa fees, or vaccinations)
Financial Aid is available. Any participant or school unable to cover the full cost of the program should contact Sabine Keinath by email at email@example.com.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.